Friday, June 20, 2008

A Sister's Summons


For a couple of years or so, I have been touched by the blog of a woman and her family. I heard about her battle with ovarian cancer at her daughter Amber's website and have been following her story ever since. I have never met Colleen personally, but oh my, what an inspiration she has been. I'm sure I am not the only one who would attest to that. Her original diagnosis was in September of 2005 and after treatment, she regained some of her strength and vigor, only to find out in April of 2007 that the cancer had returned. It has been quite a battle for Colleen since then. Through it all, you never saw a sweeter spirit and a more trusting saint. She writes beautifully, bringing the reader to a dearer and nearer walk with the Savior. Sometimes as I read her posts, I have to remind myself that this is someone who is suffering.

Lately, the blog post came that I always worried would come when I would go visit her. Her last two posts will explain. I thought of Christiana from Pilgrim's Progress when she received her summons. On June 2nd Colleen wrote: "it appears that I have begun my journey Home." Her situation now is much like that of Christiana when she received her summons:

. . .So inquiry was made for her, and the house was found out where she was, so the post presented her with a letter: The contents whereof were, Hail good woman! I bring thee tidings, that the Master calleth for thee, and expecteth that thou shouldest stand in his Presence, in clothes of Immortality. . .When he had read this letter to her, he gave her therewith a true token that he was a true messenger, and was come to bid her make haste to be gone. The token was, an Arrow with a point sharpened with Love, let easily into her heart, which by degrees wrought so effectually with her, that at the time appointed she must be gone.

So it is with our sister Colleen. She doesn't have an exact time appointed yet, but has been told that it is near. But then we all have an appointed time, don't we? However, as she said, some of us have a better idea of our arrival time to our Destination. This is a difficult, I'm sure, yet blessed time for Colleen and her family. Pray for her, please.

9 comments:

Susan Skitt said...

Wow Maxine, thank you for sharing this. My heart aches for this family, yet at the same time there is joy because "precious in the eyes of the Lord are the death of His saints..."

I can only pray that as I live my life for Christ, so I will live it in my appointed time to go home. God give us the grace to live, I believe with all my heart He will give us the grace to die. But you know, one of those verses that really touched me after my first husband's sudden death was this: (actually many verses, but this really drove it home to me and I just read it recently again in my regular Bible reading)

"But concerning the resurrection of the dead, have you not read what was spoken to you by God, saying, 'I am the God of Abraham, the God of Issac, and the God of Jacob? God is not the God of the dead, but of the LIVING." Matthew 22:31,32

You know, teaching kids all those years at church I suppose I had in my mind, "Abraham, Issac, and Jacob, are all dead." But God says, no, they are with Him and they are alive and well.

So is my Gerry! Praise God for His promises! And the same is true for all those who put their faith and trust in the Lord Jesus Christ for salvation!

Maxine said...

Oh, Susan, this was beautiful. Thanks for sharing your heart--you always touch mine when you do.
Indeed, He is the God of the living.

Susan said...

Dearest Maxine,

I'm so blessed I decided to drop by tonight. I just went and visited Collen's site.

Oh my, what words of wisdom. I will never forget what I just read on your blog or hers.

Thanks for sharing this. I will be in prayer for her and her family.

Blessings to you Maxine♥

Mimi said...

what beautiful words of wisdom and peace spoken by Colleen
thank you so much for directing us to her site...
Mimi

Anonymous said...

Hi Maxine,
Thank you for stopping by my blog. Oh how I love your blogs. They touch my heart and refresh me. What a beautiful family you have.
We serve such a precious Saviour. It is so nice to meet you and I look forward to visiting often.
bless you,
Sandra from New Zealand

TO BECOME said...

This post touched my heart so deeply and I will be praying for her and I am so thankful that God has used her to be an inspiration to others by the things that she is going through and the faith that she has during it all. Thanks Maxine. connie from Texas

Carol said...

Thankyou Maxine, for sharing about this wonderful courageous woman.I am deeply touched by her story.. each time I come her I feel inspired.

And thankyou also for coming over to visit my musings. I must apologise I haven't been doing too much blogger lately..Preparing myself for our first grand child..

many blessings to you..

Maxine said...

I know that all of you were touched by Colleen as I have been. Just had to share her story.

And Carol--your first grandchild! No wonder you're distracted! I'm waiting for my second and remember two years ago waiting for that first one! Nothing like it. Enjoy!

Mishel said...

Thank you Maxine for posting about this. I have been reading Colleen's blog for a while as well...and was so touched by her most recent posts. There is so much for us to learn through her trust in Jesus...