Thursday, April 16, 2009

Following After Abraham


"By faith Abraham, when he was called to go out into a place which he should after receive for an inheritance, obeyed" (Heb. 11:8).

If we were to follow in the steps of Abraham, we would follow the Lord's leading even when we don't know the where. This can be especially challenging during the dark times. These thoughts from today's Streams in the Desert should be a reminder that He'll take our hand when the need is greatest:



The day had gone; alone and weak
I groped my way within a bleak
And sunless land.
The path that led into the light
I could not find! In that dark
night God took my hand.

He led me that I might not stray,
And brought me by a new, safe way
I had not known.
By waters still, through pastures green
I followed Him--the path was clean
Of briar and stone.

The heavy darkness lost its strength,
My waiting eyes beheld at length
The streaking dawn.
On, safely on, through sunrise glow
I walked, my hand in His, and lo,
The night had gone.
--Annie Porter Johnson

6 comments:

TO BECOME said...

I love that poem~~ It is so true, I have lived it many times. Thank you, connie

Susan said...

Oh to have the heart, and the FAITH of Abraham!!

Great poem.

Thanks for sharing this♥

Connie Arnold said...

So glad I ran across your blog and discovered this post with Annie Porter Johnson's wonderful poem! Thanks for sharing it.

Joyfulsister said...

Hi Maxine
(((Hugz))) It was so good to see you my sistah!!!I really need to catch up and visit often. I have so busy, but I need to slow down a lil, my body is feeling it lol.
How are you doing? I pray that you have a blessed week and I'll let you know when I post more on the retreat.

Hugz Lorie

Unknown said...

Maxine
I love this poem. To follow the path that leads to God is my desire in life. I appreciate your uplifting and encouraging blog. God Bless you my sister in Christ.
Lisa

kris said...

Hi Maxine-
This is the first time I've visited this blog - and I love it. The name is perfect.
Thanks for all your encouraging words to me at my blog. God might have a time of rest for me, or a new challenge. Thankfully He does not ask us to walk by ourselves - He leads us, He walks with us, sometimes He even carries us. I want to be like Abraham and follow the Lord's leading even though I don't know where I'm going.
Have a great day, Maxine - may God richly bless you today!