Thursday, August 20, 2009

I Am My Neighbor's Bible


Another poem that was included in a birthday card from my mom contains sweetly worded truths that are always worth remembering. I think all too often we get hung up on what's important to ourselves personally, while failing to consider our effect on the world around us.


I am my neighbor's Bible
He reads me when we meet;
Today he reads me in my home--
Tomorrow on the street.
He may be relative or friend
Or slight acquaintance be;
He may not even know my name,
Yet he is reading me.

And pray, who is this neighbor
Who reads me day by day,
To learn if I am living right
And walking as I pray?
Oh, he is with me always
To criticize or blame;
So worldly-wise in his own eyes,
And "sinner" is his name.

Dear Christian friends and brothers,
If we could only know
How faithfully the world records
Just what we say and do,
Oh, we would write our record plain
And come in time to see
Our worldly neighbor won to Christ
While reading you and me.
~ Anon


What a message Mom has left for me even though there are times it gets forgotten. I ask the Lord to embed these words in my heart.

4 comments:

HOPE said...

Oh me too Maxine...

Love the poem...

A dear elderly man in our church is dying of cancer...his testimony is that while a YOUNG Christian he did not live the BIBLE in his life to be read of others as this poem states..he regrets with tears the wasted time of his life..not caring for other souls. God has granted him now time with these he neglected!! His name is Bill if you will pray God grants him time to reach some!

Thanks for sharing this..

HOPE~

Mimi said...

Maxine,
a beautiful poem that we need to hold in our hearts and repeat it every day!!!
Beautiful....

Susan said...

Oh wow, this was incredible, and true.

Oh, I want to be the true bible he reads.

Thanks for sharing Maxine, and stopping by the other day.

What a blessing you are♥

Tammy said...

Great poem. What a sobering thought to remind us of our mission.