Monday, June 25, 2007

He Adored God in Both

"...Naked came I out of my mother's womb, and naked shall I return thither: the LORD gave, and the LORD hath taken away; blessed be the name of the LORD."
Job 1:21


I didn't admit it verbally, but yesterday morning I was a bit grumbly in the inner man when the teacher for the Sunday school class above mine called me to ask me to take his class, because he had been up sick with a stomach bug during the night. Now, my first thought should have been concern for him and gratefulness for the opportunity to help a fellow saint (and extra children), but I'm sorry to say it wasn't. My first thought was irritation over the fact that the nice little lesson I had planned for the two sweet girls in my third and fourth grade class was being disrupted by these "older" kids, all of whom I'd previously taught. The lesson for the day was from the book of Job, chapters 1, 2 and 42. I had made up a nice little worksheet, specifically designed with my two girls in mind, and now I was also going to have five other students!

Well, need I say that our dear Lord showed me, once again, that He knows exactly what He's doing. Without going into too many details, suffice it to say that I was blessed yesterday. The story of Job once again touched my heart, and I do think it did the hearts of certain of the older students as well. I could tell. And one of my younger girls--I believe there were certain aspects that did hit home with her. I know that this teacher was affected, remembering those lessons from Job once again.

We all learned or relearned two crucial facts from that patriarch: God allows both good and bad things to happen in our lives; like Job, we have to trust in His providential workings in them all. We also learned that God can sovereignly restore blessings after they've been taken away.

I didn't get terribly deep with the children, but Matthew Henry did minister to my heart with his comments about the above verse (the second half is their memory verse this week). Referring to Job's response to the loss of all possessions, including his children, Mr. Henry said:

"He acknowledged the hand of God both in the mercies he had formerly enjoyed and in the afflictions he was now exercised with: 'The Lord gave, and the Lord has taken away.' The same that gave hath taken away; and may he not do what he will with his own? See how Job looks above instruments, and keeps his eye upon the first Cause.

"He adored God in both. When all was gone he fell down and worshipped..."

Will you and I be able to do the same? And I am thankful for His forgiveness for my initial reaction yesterday morning.

4 comments:

Beverly said...

This happens to me so often ... the things I am the most "grumbly" about, turn out to be a blessing. I remember that Matthew Henry quote too!

Jodi said...

The children and I read through Job late last year - a wonderful blessing. Somewhere in our study it was pointed out that of all Job lost it was doubly restored ... except for his children. He only received the exact same number of children that were taken from him because his first set of children were still his in Heaven. (That was probably in Matthew Henry or the MacArthur Study Bible.)

And God does have a way of working on our rough spots, doesn't He. :o)
Glad your joined classes went so well.

Kathy said...

I really enjoyed this post, especially the quote: "when all was gone he fell down and worshipped..." Good reminder to do the same. Thanks!

Mishel said...

Isn't it good of the Lord (and so gracious of Him) so turn our grumbling hearts into a blessing for US?! I can very much relate to your post. Thank you for being transparent and sharing your heart! : )