Monday, June 4, 2007

Our Sovereign God In Isaiah

If you, like me, are captivated by the topic of God's sovereignty, then read the book of Isaiah. It's replete with this particular doctrine about our God who reigns in heaven and in earth, a doctrine which may seem frightening to some, but brings comfort to me.
Yesterday's sermon was from Isaiah; it was about the necessity for us, as believers, to be witnesses for our Jehovah God (in the true, evangelical sense), but mostly my heart was ignited by the torch of the blessed truth--our God is Sovereign--as we read Scriptures like these:

Remember the former things of old, for I am God, and there is no other; I am God, and there is none like Me,

Declaring the end from the beginning, and from ancient times things that are not yet done, saying "My counsel shall stand and I will do all My pleasure,"

Calling a bird of prey from the east, The man who executes my counsel, from a far country. Indeed I have spoken it; I will also bring it to pass. I have purposed it; I will also do it.

Isaiah 46:9-11

Does this scare you? Does it offend you? Does it make you want to say things like "why bother to witness, then?" Not me--it gives me purpose. I have more reason to proclaim the gospel because the One who sends me is the same One who will bring His purposes to fruition. Actually, I have the responsibility to do it, bringing to reality the dichotomy I once learned of: God's sovereignty alongside of man's responsibility in the calling of sinners to salvation.

3 comments:

Beverly said...

You are right ... this Scripture should give us purpose. Yesterday's sermon was a good one, I agree.

Kathy said...

I love the book of Isaiah. God is on the throne and that ought to ignite our hearts! This life really isn't about us but about his glory! Thanks for sharing.

Beka said...

I love Isaiah so very much. There are so many comforting passages there, and the truth of God's sovereignty runs throughout. You're right, these things DO give us purpose!