Wednesday, August 15, 2007

A Praise and a Prompt

I'm sure you are as thankful as I am for the release of two of the South Korean Missionaries who have been held hostage by the Taliban. Praise the Lord for His merciful dealings in the life of these two women. But this is a prompt that we not give up praying for the nineteen others still in the clutches of their captors. Yesterday's report from Citizen Link was a spur for me--to keep praying fervently for our brethren. You may or may not have the same opinion with regard to the article's position on pressuring the state department, but I'm sure you, like me, will heartily agree with this statement by the director of international government affairs for Focus on the Family:

“We need to systematically pray for them," he told Family News in Focus. "Remember, when one part of the body of Christ suffers, the entire body suffers with that part. So, their suffering is our suffering.”

So, we keep praying, friends, remembering those who suffer for the sake of a Savior who suffered. You may be familiar with the touching hymn " O Sacred Head, Now Wounded" --it grips the heart when you hear it, especially immediately prior to taking the Lord's Supper. As we sing these powerful words, how can our hearts not overflow with praise? I'll just post this one stanza of what was a VERY long poem when written, but these are words we need to remember if we are His children, and if anyone reads this who isn't, I implore you to search out what Christ accomplished for needy sinners like you and me, and you'll better understand why there are people all over the world who willingly lay down their lives for His sake. The good news of the gospel is that you can know Him too.

What thou, my Lord, hast suffered
Was all for sinners' gain:
Mine, mine was the transgression,
But thine the deadly pain.
Lo, here I fall, my Saviour!
'Tis I deserve thy place;
Look on me with thy favor,
Vouchsafe to me thy grace.

~ Bermard of Clairvauz, 1091-1158

(For more words and to listen to the tune, go here. Of course, it's at Cyber Hymnal also, but I prefer it played more slowly. BTW, will get to my Aunt Jane's Hero post next time.)

6 comments:

Beverly said...

Yes, their suffering is ours as well. This is one of my favorite hymns.

Vicki said...

Praise the Lord for those released!

When one in the Body suffers, we all suffer, and we need to be faithful in prayer, don't we, friend? Thank you for posting on this. That hymn, O Sacred Head, Now Wounded gets to me every time. Can hardly sing it without tears. Oh what a Savior!

Blessings to you and thanks for your sweet visit today. I've come here a couple times and couldn't post. Blogger has issues, but I never know when they'll strike:-)

Now I'm off to listen to Cyber Hymnal...thanks again.

Warmest hugs,
Vicki

Jodi said...

O Sacred Head Now Wounded ~ achingly beautiful hymn!

The church today, in our country, seems very insulated from the pain of the Body of Christ. I have been giving much thought to missionaries and how they are funded. As a Southern Baptist I am beginning to feel that our churches are too far removed from the missionaries themselves and thus fail to have a real sense of connection and accountability where they are concerned. Just things I'm currently mulling over ...

My children and I are reading the Missionary volume of Wisdom with the Millers (a Mennonite series of books). Great series ... but this book is just extra special.

Becky Wolfe said...

I wonder if even 10% of the churches in the western world have even given a second thought to pray for these missionaries. It makes me sad that we take our freedoms so for granted that we forget of those suffering that we should be suffering with and praying for!

Mimi said...

Beautiful Hymn.. and I also think is is so special just before the Lords Supper..I
am afraid that our churches today are not focusing on missionaries near like we should be... we as christians have become so lukewarm in our discipleship that we tend to leave the thought and prayers for the missionaries to some one else

Alan said...

Always liked Bernard of Clairvaux, an under-rated monastic, and very devoted to Mary. Good man.