Thursday, August 9, 2007

Truthfulness


Hello Friends. Isn't this little guy a sweetie? I just put him here to brighten the day for anyone who stops by. I haven't been around much of late, I know. There have been quite a few things going on this summer and this week it's VBS. Oppressive heat here in our area hasn't helped matters much either, so I haven't had a lot of get up and go you could say. I miss getting over to see some of you as much as I'd like, but hopefully this is temporary. Trusting you are all well.

I wanted to share something with you. I ran across a few words in my reading today that I read and reread. My husband and I have always been parents who place a high value on honesty in our children. Some of the most severe disciplines came when this virtue was violated. So this one sentence got my attention:

Our truthfulness towards our children is as high a duty as theirs towards us.
~Dr. H.W.J. Thiersch

I hope you and I will spend as much time working on this character trait in ourselves as we do in our children. And hopefully, they'll do the same and pass it on.

Talk to you soon!

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Amen Maxine! It was a high value in our home as well. Great quote. Taking care of the little ones takes it's toll on you...praying refreshment for you and cooler weather!
Blessings, Patty

Carol said...

Honesty has always been instilled in our family too..as much as I wanted to protect my children and shield them from pain and hurts I have always been open and honest with them ; they in turn have valued my honesty and have gone on to value honesty in their adult lives..

Mimi said...

It is so east to tell little white lies to keep from talking to someone on the phone or to not do something some is asking us to do...
but a lie is a lie is a lie.. and we do need to remember that
thanks for the reminder

Kathy said...

I love that quote! Yes, we have to be truthful with our children. They need to know they can count on us no matter what. Thanks for sharing!! It's been a busy summer, here, too, and I'm praying for you, sister! I love the puppy, too! Yours? He's a doll1

Jodi said...

Oh dear! VBS in this heat must be challenging to say the least!

What a great quote! Lying is one sin that has automatic consequences in our home (if you know what I mean). So far that has worked for us. The children learn very early on that lying does not pay, and ~ so far ~ we've not had any difficulty once they are about five or six. We've always told the children that the only way we can help them through things is if they are always completely truthful with us. But demanding that level of truthfulness from our children has indeed kept hubby and I on our toes. It's not only what we tell our children ... it's what we tell ourselves about ourselves. Seeing ourselves as we truly are and not sugar coating things in our own minds in a fit of vanity or self-denial. Well, I hope that rambling makes sense ~ lol.

I guess your VBS is over by now. I hope you get all rested up from up. :o)

Susan Skitt said...

VBS - what fun - tiring - but fun! We had ours the middle of July and the temperatures outside soared!

I appreciate this quote about being truthful toward our children. How important to be that example for our kids.

Miranda said...

I love that quote, it is so true! How can we teach our children to be honest if we lie to them, even in the smallest way? Thank you for that reminder. I just stopped by to say hi, and thank you for your visit to my blog!