Sunday, January 25, 2009

Sunday Snippet - Psalm 46

God is our refuge and strength, a very present help in trouble? Psalm 46:1

Familiar words? I'm sure they are! What Christian doesn't know the first verse of this wonderful, wonderful psalm in the Word of God? What child of God has not been inspired, and most of all, comforted by not just this verse, but the whole eleven verses of one of the most beloved portions of our beloved Bible.

This, my dear friends, was our sermon today. It was delivered by a visiting young man who comes to preach periodically and we've seldom been disappointed when he does. This time I was particularly thankful for the ministry of the Word, because I needed it so much. You see, there is nothing that motivates me more in my Christian walk than to hear a message that brings me to God. And that's what happened today. I like it that our brother "took us into the mindset of the psalmist," that is, he brought us to the place that we could have a sense of what was happening in and to Jerusalem at the time the words were written. The horror of that time came alive for me--the brutal Assyrians, the great and vicious Sennacherib knocking at the door, ready to come in and destroy them. And yet, "God is in the midst of her; she shall not be moved." Wow. The context is trouble and the question posed to us was "What is it that unsettles you today?"

Whatever is unsettling you, whatever trouble you may be having, this blessed psalm is for you. Read it today and meditate on it. Let these words echo in your heart and mind:

Be still, and know that I am God: I will be exalted among the heathen, I will be exalted in the earth. Psalm 46:10.

No comments: