Friday, May 4, 2007

Typos

I was thinking this morning...

For personal devotions, I'm going through the book of Matthew with Ryle's commentary on it close by my side. I'm about to finish up Chapter 10, and I've encountered three typos in the book so far. I hadn't noticed that before. Do you think these typos have had any effect on the usefulness of this commentary? The publisher is the Banner of Truth Trust, which puts out nothing but quality works. Anyway, I was thinking about these "mistakes" that I have run into so far and how they have not in the least taken away from the preciousness of the words that Mr. Ryle has written to touch our hearts with the Savior of mankind. The fact that I happened to notice that the word "everbody" was printed instead of "everybody" made no difference whatsoever.

The reason I noticed it this time is because I am doing so much revising and editing of my own writing lately and seeing mistakes all over the place. I guess I'm a little too paranoid about something getting published with a typo. We'll do our best that there be as few as possible, but most of us know that seldom do you read a published book that you don't find at least one error in it somewhere. So, I said all that to say that I was encouraged by those typos. They matter some, especially if there are too many, but one or two here and there could serve to remind us that what people are looking for isn't perfection, but words of wisdom, encouragement, comfort or laughter that speak to them where they are.

I hope that the words I write will speak to others of the love of God, and will be acceptable to Him.

Let the words of my mouth and the meditation of my heart be acceptable in Your sight, O Lord, my strength and my Redeemer. Psalm 19:14

No comments: