Sunday, September 16, 2007

Sunday Snippet - To Jerusalem


Now when we heard these things, both we and those from that place pleaded with him not to go up to Jerusalem. Then Paul answered, "What do you mean by weeping and breaking my heart? For I am ready not only to be bound, but also to die at Jerusalem for the name of the Lord Jesus." So when he would not be persuaded, we ceased, saying,"The will of the Lord be done." And after those days we packed and went up to Jerusalem.`Acts 21:12-15

How many of us can say we are ready to "die at Jerusalem" for the sake of Christ? There are some who have that special calling from God, you know. They will go to a place or do a thing knowing that their lives are at stake. But that fact doesn't deter them--they go nonetheless. They count the cost and choose the work of the gospel over even that which most of us consider to be most precious. Today some folks from my church were talking about a sermon they just heard about this passage. It made them think, they said. I guess it should make all of us "think." Maybe we're not being called to go to some dangerous place, but are we willing to do anything or leave anything or give up anything for His sake? Like others I talked to today, I'm going to spend more time thinking about it--what about you?

10 comments:

Mimi said...

I am going to spend more time Really thinking about it also.
it is easy for me to SAY I would be willing to die..
But I am in my real comfortable life..
And when an opportunity to witness comes to me... do I step up to the plate and speak up for Christ?
Or do I fumble around with my purse, or groceries on the shelf of the grocery store, or some other little insignificant thing to keep myself distracted long enough for the opportunity to pass...
Yet I SAY I am willing to die for Him.
"God help me to be willing to die to self in order to Live for you"

Kathy said...

Great question. Am I willing to give up all for him? Am I just posturing about sacrifice? My kids have asked me the same question and I always ask, I hope I would stand strong if I were threatened with death.qifr It is my heart's desire to put him first. Good post - very thought-provoking.

Susan Skitt said...

So true... God may not be calling us to actually give something up or go somewhere (however, sometimes he does), but he may just want to know our hearts are WILLING...

RitasRavings said...

Thanks Maxine for your words. Yes, it's scary to actually DO what the Lord wants. I'm in the process of casting all aside and going for it. I need more reminders that it's the right thing. Thanks.

Tanya said...

This reminds me of a post on spaghettipie's site. Daily we must choose whom we will serve. Whether we know it or not, every day our lives on on the line --- either a full life in the center of HIS will or something less than what we've been created for. Thank you for bringing this to the forefront that we all my "think" on it. :)

sparrow's song said...

I can honestly say that I am way too selfish to consider this but then that is said in my own strength. So considering further, I know that IF He did call me then He would equip me because His Word says that He would never leave us nor forsake us.

He doesn't call the equipped, but rather He equips the called.

Vicki said...

Hey sweet friend. What a good post to think about and pray over. I've often thought about the various martyrs of the faith and how they stood firm to the end. I pray only that my Lord would, by His grace, enable me so.

hugs & blessings,
Vicki

Jodi said...

Dearest Maxine ~ This is indeed a thought provoking passage of scripture. Not only do I want to be willing to go ~ do ~ be what He calls me to, but I do *not* want to be like Paul's fellow believers and hold others back from their own call of God. I think of this most particularly when it comes to my children. Very hard.

***

By the way, I've been visiting your daughter, Beverly's blog for a little while and finally commented today. May I just say, Maxine, you have an extremely lovely daughter! and (it goes without saying) an adorable granddaughter! :o)

Beverly said...

This is a wonderful exhortation -- actually because of recent events, I've been thinking about this a lot. In our lives we aren't often called to do anything drastic, but if so -- would I be willing? I've been challenged by the thought of this.

Maxine said...

Really good comments guys. I love what everyone had to say. I can't believe a whole week has gone by already and it's time for another Sunday Snippet!

Thanks for your nice words about my daughter, Jodi! I just want to say back that you have a pretty nifty mama!!