Thursday, July 5, 2007

Help Beyond the Gate


Now I saw in my dream, that he spake many good words unto them, whereby they were greatly gladded. He also had them up to the top of the gate, and showed them by what deed they were saved, and told them withal that that sight they would have again as they went along in the way, to their comfort.

I have heard of much sickness, sorrow, and pain of late. Not on my part for the present, but on the part of others I read or hear about. No promises have been made at any time that this pilgrimage would be an easy one.

The above quote is from Pilgrim's Progress; it occurred quite soon after Christiana and Mercy were given entrance by the Keeper of the gate into the way leading to the Celestial City . I love the account about their entrances through the gate. Take special notice that they were helped. In the case of Christiana, whose children came with her, he took her by the hand, and led her in. Shortly after, Mercy's access was accomplished when , after taking her hand and bidding her arise after she fainted outside the gate, the Keeper took her again by the hand, and led her gently in. Do you see, dear friends? Bunyon understood it well. In His love and tenderness, Jesus brought us in. And not just that, He brought us in gently. This stirring account, written so long ago, reminds me once again how thankful I am for the Savior, who guided this poor, helpless sinner through the narrow passageway. I would have horribly gashed myself trying to get through on my own.

So as we travel through the shadows, won't He continue to gently lead us? And won't He continue to show us by what deed He fetched us? And won't He continue to speak many good words to us, to gladden our hearts? Yes, beloved ones, we'll keep receiving help beyond the gate.

Therefore Jesus also, that He might sanctify the people with His own blood, suffered outside the gate. Therefore let us go forth to Him, outside the camp, bearing His reproach. For here we have no continuing city, but we seek the one to come. Hebrews 13:12-14

8 comments:

Mishel said...

Beautiful post. Do you know, I have never read Pilgrims Progress? I have wanted to though. I know the story well, because we had a children's version and we had the story on tape. Another book to add to my reading list! : )

Susan Skitt said...

Yes, Jesus takes us by the hand and never lets go. Praise God! He leads us along...

I once wrote a short play for children based off a children's book called Christian's Journey. (It was an edited version of Pilgrims Progress. We just watched the video we taped of the play preformed 7 years ago by the children's group at our church after reading the book to my five-year-old son and my niece. I guess it's time to do it again with the next group of kids!)

Carol said...

This is a lovely post..and I too have never read Pilgrims Progress...and to be honest not really heard too much about it..It sounds a wonderful book..I have in the past taken notes of books which bloggers have mentioned, but I have difficulty trying to find them in Australia..
The next time I am at the Library I'll check to see if they have it on their data base..

Kathy said...

There is so much richness in Pilgrim's Progress. It's a real treasure, a classic with lots of thought-provoking turns. Thanks for your insights. Blessings to you!

Dale said...

I simply adore this post; it is so eloquent and profound.

I have attempted to read "Pilgrim's Progress" numerous times but never was able to enjoy it or glean anything from it.

You, however, make it sound like an amazing book! I hope you'll post more comments about it.

Beverly said...

Pilgrim's Progress is one of my favorites, but I haven't really taken note of this "he took her by the hand..." This is beautiful to reflect on!

Susan Skitt said...

Maxine, thanks for visiting Anna's Place. I cried when I got your message about the memorial service and want you to know I have been praying and will continue to pray for this family that love and grace of the Lord Jesus Christ will sustain them through this difficult time.

Anonymous said...

Maxine, thank you for sharing this with us. You have such a way with words that they feel like they are put to music. They refresh my soul...you are a blessing.
Patty