Sunday, October 14, 2007

Sunday Snippet - Greatest Preacher

And these words which I command you today shall be in your heart. You shall . . .talk of them when you sit in your house, when you walk by the way, when you lie down and when you rise up. Deuteronomy 6:6-7

This week's Sunday Snippet is found in this book. I don't know how familiar you are with Elizabeth George, but she's a prolific writer. She's a modern day devotional writer whom I look up to. I found a little tidbit in her A Mom After God's Own Heart, which I've been reading lately. As she exhorts us as moms to talk about God to our children, Elizabeth tells about renowned and eloquent preacher Dr. G. Campbell Morgan who had four sons who followed in their father's footsteps and became ministers as well. At some point, someone asked one of the sons which Morgan was the greatest preacher. Guess what the son's answer was? "Mother," was his reply.

Wow. It seems that here was a mother who not only spoke to her children about the Lord, but they had recognized her important role in their lives. And it appears that God had blessed this woman's words to her sons' hearts. I hope this is an encouragement to you, because it sure is to me.

7 comments:

Susan Skitt said...

Wow, may we as Moms never forget the impact we have on our children's lives for the Lord! Thanks!

Mishel said...

Elizabeth George is one of my favorite authors too! I have not read this book yet--but I'm sure it's good because I so enjoyed her "A Woman After God's Own Heart". Thanks for sharing this tidbit! : )

And thank you, sweet friend, for your prayers on our family's behalf--you are a blessing to me! Hugs!

Vicki said...

Oh, what an encouragement, indeed, my dear friend. I pray the Lord would not only bless our words as mothers to the hearts of our children, but that my oversights would be covered by His grace. Blessings on your week!

Beverly said...

Can I borrow this book, Mummy?

Susan said...

Hey Maxine,

Thanks for sharing your thoughts and exhortation to us as mothers.

We truly have such a powerful influence on our children. What an honor, what a challenge!

Hope you are having a nice week.

Blessings,

Susan

Tanya said...

It's funny how books and authors can be tainted by the giver. Someone gave me a few Elizabeth George books years ago, but my lack of respect for the person who gave them to me has hindered me from actually reading those books. Looks like I'll have to overcome my prejudices and dust them off.

Maxine said...

Susan, it's so easy to forget how much of a impact we have, isn't it. This was a reminder for me.

Mishel: Welcome back Sweetie! Glad all is well and things are better. Waiting to hear word of that new grandchild!

Vicki: You words really hit home. "That my oversights would be covered by his grace." Amen.

Bevvy: I guess I'll let you read it. After all, it was a gift from you in the first place.

Hi Susan. Yes it is an honor, but you are so right--It's also a great challenge.

Tanya, that is so funny. I've had experiences like that too and as a result, I later found out I had missed a great blessing. I think you'll like Elizabeth George. She's easy to read, but usually quite on target with the Word.