Sunday, October 28, 2007

Sunday Snippet - Old Age?


The righteous shall flourish like a palm tree,
He shall grow like a cedar in Lebanon.
Those who are planted in the house of the LORD
Shall flourish in the courts of our God.
They shall still bear fruit in old age;
They shall be fresh and flourishing.
Psalm 92:12-14

After I reached a certain age, this passage of Scripture became an inspiration. And this weekend I met a couple of people who are living these verses in a way that made me all the more ready to press on for as long as the Lord allows. We had a short Bible Conference at our church this weekend and our special guests were a man and his wife who worked as missionaries in the middle east from the years 1955-2000. Before that he was an archaeologist. Through the years, he's done extensive work translating and teaching the arabic language. Dr. K. told us that he left his work in the middle east when he was seventy years old. The way I compute this, he's now seventy-seven, and his wife must be close behind since they met in college.

His wife was with him yesterday as he led the conference sessions; both of them were all about among the people getting to know young and old alike. Today he came alone while she "covered" for both of them at something that was happening at their church. Tomorrow, he's headed to New York to take care of some business for a Christian organization of which he's just been made chairman. Whew. You had to be there to see all of the energy and enthusiasm these two folks have for the work of the Lord.

Need I say more? I just wanted to tell you about them so you might be encouraged--especially you--my fellow nannas, poppops, grammies, grandmoms, grandpas, etc., etc., etc.

8 comments:

Beverly said...

We were blessed by them as well -- they have such a heart for children! I want to be like them when I am 77!

Susan Skitt said...

Wow - it's so great to see people keep on serving the Lord and being a wonderful example!

Thanks for sharing.

BTW - we had a young missionary family from Romania at our church yesterday. It's great to see God moving in people's lives to spread the Gospel of Jesus Christ!

Mishel said...

What a great post--and an encouragement! This couple reminds me of a couple that our family knows--what a team they are! And Ashleigh had a Sunday School teacher that taught classes until she was 92!!

Sara said...

Yes, I can only hope that I am like them when I am seventy-seven too! I was so blessed by both of them, and especially Dr. K. What a devotion they have for our Lord, and a heart for young people. It was truly a wonderful weekend.

P.S. Thank you for your comments on my blog! :)

Anonymous said...

I am not sure how I came across your blog, but I am very pleased that I have.

I find the times that existed during biblical times very different than today.

It used to be that Gray hair was a sign of wisdom, that does not seem to be conventional wisdom any more.

Great story! I can only hope that is me at 77!

Maxine said...

I think all of us are feeling the same--we're inspired and encouraged by these two saints. I love missionaries and I love older people, so I was doubly blessed.

David,I'm also pleased that you stopped by. You are so right that times have changed with respect to perspectives on those with gray hair. I really see the difference between my generation and the current one. Hope you get your wish and that you will still be serving the Lord at 77, and please come again!

Cathy said...

It is amazing the energy some of these folks have. The joy of the Lord is our strength. :o)

Vicki said...

The Lord energizes us for the tasks He calls us to, that's for sure. Amazing. My own parents didn't live past 72, but I do hope He will bless me with long enough life to write all He's given me. PTL!

Btw, you won a book. I'm glad you're one of the winners!